Heating Assistance (HEAP)

Home Energy Assistance Program

Kennebec Valley Community Action Program offers Fuel Assistance to qualifying households. The Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) serves Somerset, Kennebec, Lincoln and Sagadahoc counties, providing assistance for income eligible households to offset the rising costs of home energy, whether you have wood, electric, gas, or oil heat. The benefit is paid directly to the client’s fuel vendor of choice.

Once appointments become available for the 2021-2022 season, please follow this link to book an appointment. If you or a member of your household are 60 years of age or older or under the age of 6, please call to schedule your appointment (207) 859-1500.

If you have questions regarding an existing application, please complete this form.

This program has income guidelines. It is important to check to see if you qualify. We can deduct for proven medical expenses paid as well as other things. Please make and appointment and speak with a HEAP Intake Specialist if you are unsure about whether you may qualify or not.


You MUST bring this information to your appointment:
You may qualify if you are a renter, renter with heat included, homeowner, subsidized renter, employed or unemployed, or have income earned by wages or other sources.

  1. Valid/unexpired Government issued photo ID for the primary applicant
  2. Social Security cards for all household members
  3. Current electric bill (can’t be a disconnect notice)
  4. Proof of all income received during 30 days prior to your appointment or year for all household members
    • current social security/SSI/SSD/VA award letter
    • pay stubs for ALL pay dates within last 30 days
    • 2020 tax return and/or profit and loss statement if self-employed
    • statement from SNAP/TANF/Unemployment/Worker’s Compensation
    • proof of alimony/child support
    • proof of rental income
    • statements for any pension/retirement/annuity/interest/dividends received
    • any other proof of income you may have from odd jobs or other income sources

Each application is different. You may be required to produce other information. If you need more information on where to get these documents, please click HERE.

If you want to reduce the amount of time spent at your appointment, Print and complete the “Permission to Share Information Form” and bring it with you to your appointment. The “Permission to Share Information Form” must be signed by ALL household members over the age of 18.

The most common cause for fuel assistance delays is missing documentation. Please review the list above for what you need to bring to your appointment and make sure you bring everything needed with you or your application will not be processed.

For more information please contact (207) 859-1500 or toll free 1-800-542-8227 ext. 1500 or email energy@kvcap.org.