KVCAP offers a suite of parenting and enrichment classes. Browse below to see our full listing. Click here for the Kennebec Winter/Spring 2019 schedule. Click here to view the Somerset Winter 2019 schedule. Click here to view the Family Enrichment Council brochure.
The First Five Years
In this series of 4 classes you will learn discipline methods that work, how to prevent tantrums, establishing routines to make life easier, and much more. This class is designed for parents of children from birth-age 5.
Active Parenting Now
This series of six classes combines video, activities and discussion to help parents raise responsible children who are able to resist negative peer pressure. Designed for parents of children ages 5 to 12, the program also demonstrates non-violent discipline techniques and effective encouragement skills.
Cooperative Parenting and Divorce
This video-based 8-week program gives divorcing or separating parents the power to make positive changes that shield their children from parental conflict and guides them into establishing a long-term relationship with the child’s other parents.
- Educates parents on the impact their conflict has on their children
- Explains children’s issues in divorce
- Teaches parents the practical skills they need to manage anger, increase impulse control, resolve conflict and talk to each other without arguing
- Is designed to be the “next step” for parents in counties that require divorce seminars.
Community Nurturing Parenting
This is a free 10-week program tailored to meet the needs and learning styles of anyone parenting a child! The classes focus on and explain:
- Philosophy and Practices of Nurturing
- Ages and Stages of Growth : Infants/Toddlers
- Ways to Enhance Positive Brain Development : Children/Teens
- Communicating with Respect
- Building Self-worth
- Understanding Feelings
- Understanding and Developing Family Morals, Values and Rules
- Praising Children and Their Behavior
- Alternatives to Spanking
- Learning Positive Ways to Deal with Stress and Anger
The Nurturing Fathers Program
A 13-week program tailored to meet the needs and learning styles of any man parenting a child!
The class focuses on the value of fathers and explains:
- The Roots of Fathering
- Nurturing Our Children and Ourselves
- Fathering Sons/Fathering Daughters
- Discipline Without Violence
- Managing Anger/Resolving Conflict
- Teamwork with Spouse/Partner
- Communication/Problem Solving
- Balancing Work and Fathering
- Cultural Influences
- Dealing with Feelings
- The Father I Choose to Be
Kids First Program Supporting Families of Separation and Divorce
A one-day, four-hour workshop, designed to help parents address problems and decrease the negative effects of divorce. Topics will include:
- Children’s needs as the marital and family roles change
- The effects of divorce on children and children’s reaction to divorce
- Making decisions about parenting arrangements
- Dealing with conflict without involving children
- Helping children adjust to differences between households
New! Nurturing Parent – Families in Substance Abuse Recovery
Nurturing Program for Families in Substance Abuse Treatment and Recovery focuses on the effects of substance abuse on families, parenting, and the parent-child relationship.
Combining experiential and didactic exercises, the approach is designed to enhance parents’ self-awareness and thereby increase their capacity to understand their children.
It is designed to be implemented in a 17-week program, with each session being 90 minutes.
Maine Children’s Trust
A statewide non-profit organization whose mission is to prevent child abuse and neglect. Click here to view the website.
Keeping Kids Safe In Cyberspace
While the Internet can be a valuable educational tool, it exposes children to dangers and security risks. Fortunately, there is so much that parents can do to help their children stay safe when accessing the web. Click here for a resource developed for parents to understand these risks and what steps to take in order to minimize them.
For more information and to pre-register for any of the classes listed above please contact: