The Central Maine CA$H Coalition is seeking volunteers for the upcoming tax season for Kennebec and Somerset Counties. KVCAP is a key partner in this initiative and next year we will be the lead agency for the VITA program.
The CA$H Coalition will provide the necessary training. Tax Preparers come from many walks of life – they do not need to have an accounting background! The tax returns are prepared using an on-line program called TaxSlayer and the focus is on simpler tax returns.
Central Maine CA$H Volunteer Recruitment FAQs
What is Central Maine CA$H?
- IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program
- Program provides free federal and state income tax preparation to qualifying residents from February through early May 2024
- Cover Kennebec and Somerset counties
- Administered by United Way of Kennebec Valley
What are the volunteer roles available?
- Greeter: Welcome and check in tax filers for their appointments, intake interviews
- Tax Preparer: Provide tax preparation assistance to qualified tax filers
- Financial Educator/Opportunity Guide: Connect filers to financial education and saving opportunities
How do I get involved?
- The first step is to complete the sign-up form to let us know you’re interested.
- Some will be in touch about next steps.
I don’t know anything about tax preparation. Would I still be eligible to volunteer?
- Yes! Free training is provided to volunteers. No experience necessary.
- There are three different volunteer roles, and only one of them involves direct tax preparation.
What’s the time commitment?
- Attend training in January
- 3-hour shift per week, in February and March
- Could be up to 6 hours if you select Saturdays
Will I volunteer in-person or remotely?
- Both options may be available, depending on the volunteer role you select. You can let us know which option you prefer, or a mix of both.
- In-person sites are in Augusta, Waterville and Skowhegan.
What’s the 2024 schedule?
- Inquire for more information about virtual tax preparation schedule
- Augusta – Lithgow Library – Tuesdays, 4:30-7:30pm, February and March
- Augusta – Calumet Club – Saturday, February 17th, 9am – 3pm
- Augusta – UMA Fireside Lounge – Saturday, March 23rd, 9am – 3pm
- Waterville – Waterville Adult Education – Wednesdays, 5-8pm, February (except vacation week), March, and first week in April & Saturdays, 9am – 3pm, February 3rd & March 2nd
- Skowhegan: Skowhegan Adult Education: Thursdays, 5-8pm, February and March & Saturdays, 9am-3pm, February 10th & March 9th
Who can I contact if I have questions?
Wanda Steward, KVCAP