Each year our Family Enrichment Councils in Kennebec and Somerset counties organize a diaper drive to collect diapers and wipes for families in need.
Because of the generosity of all who donate, more babies will be happier and healthier, making our entire community stronger. To learn more or to find the collection site nearest you, contact Kristen Plummer (Somerset County) at 859-2520 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or Erin McClay (Kennebec) at 859-1588 or email@example.com.
This year we are hosting several “Stuff the Cruiser” events in collaboration with local law enforcement in various communities:
• Somerset County: Friday, 10/21 at the Skowhegan Hannaford’s from 3pm – 6pm
• Kennebec County: Thursday, 10/27 at Buddies Groceries in Oakland from 3pm – 5pm
• Kennebec County: Saturday, 10/29 at the Waterville Elm Plaza Hannaford from 10am – 12pm
• Kennebec County: Wednesday, 11/2 at the Whitten Road Hannaford in Augusta from 2pm – 4pm
Why our diaper drive is so important:
• 1 in 3 families struggle to afford diapers for their children.
• Government safety-net programs do not recognize diapers as a basic need.
• Diapers cannot be obtained with food stamps (SNAP).
• Babies cry more when they experience diaper rash and the lack of resources increases the risk of abuse.
• Babies who cry excessively are at greater risk for shaken baby syndrome.
• Most child care centers require parents to provide a day’s supply of disposable diapers; without access to childcare parents can’t go to work or school.