COVID-19 Rent Relief Assistance

As of September 30, 2020, applications are no longer being accepted and the COVID-19 Rent Relief Program has ended. We will continue processing applications that have been received for rent owed ONLY for September or prior months. This program will NOT cover October or future months rent. Applications are processed on a first come, first serve basis. For an application to be processed it must be complete. An application is considered complete when the full online application is completed and submitted, tenant has verified cause of loss of income is COVID related and the Landlord documentation is completed and received by KVCAP. This program may start again if there are more federal funds that are allocated to Maine for COVID-19 response. If we do begin the program again, we will publicly announce the program and details.

The COVID-19 Rent Relief Program is for renters who cannot afford to pay their rent due to circumstances related to the COVID 19 pandemic. This program expands upon the previous rent relief program through MaineHousing.

This program provides up to $1,000 per month for a maximum of three (3) months for rent not covered by any other Federal, State or Local program. The three month period is for prior months and/or the current month. The applicant is the renter and the benefit is paid directly to the landlord. If the landlord agrees to participate in the program, the landlord is postponing the balance of the payment, not forgiving it, and further agrees not to evict for non-payment of rent for the month(s) for which the COVID-19 Rent Relief was applied.

The applicant is the Renter and the benefit is paid to the Landlord. If the landlord agrees to participate in the program, the landlord is postponing the balance of the payment, not forgiving it. In addition the landlord is agreeing not to evict the renter for non-payment of rent during the month in which the rental relief payment is made. The benefit is retroactive, so you may apply for past months and the current month at the same time. You may not apply for a future month.

You may qualify if your monthly income is within the income limits identified on the table below and are based on household size and the county in which you live:

You inability to pay rent must have been directly related to the COVID-19 pandemic. Examples of changes in circumstances include but are not limited to:

  • having your place of employment closed;
  • reduction in hours of work;
  • having to stay home to care for your children because your day care or school has closed; or
  • other loss of income due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

If you can afford to pay your rent from income of any sort or from savings or other liquid assets, you are not eligible.

Once a Tenant applies, Landlords are required to click on the following links to complete an Owner/Agent Agreement Acknowledgement and W-9 Form and return them to KVCAP. They can be emailed to or faxed to (207) 873-3812.

If you live in housing that receives any kind of subsidy, you are NOT eligible. Ask your landlord or property manager about other rent relief options that may be available. You are not eligible if you:

  • Get a Section 8 Voucher, live in Section 8 apartments, or receive Rental Assistance from USDA’s Rural Development.
  • Live in housing developments with mortgages financed by MaineHousing or a federal agency.
  • Live in a development/property using low-income housing tax credits.
  • Live in public housing.

If you have any additional questions regarding the program please click FAQs or call us at 859-1500.