The Maine Homeowner Assistance Fund (HAF) is a free, federal relief program for homeowners who are financially impacted by COVID-19 and are behind on their mortgage, property tax, or utility payments and are at risk of foreclosure. The program is funded by the U.S. Department of Treasury and administered by the Maine Bureau of Consumer Credit Protection.
KVCAP serves Kennebec, Somerset, Knox and Waldo Counties for foreclosure counseling through the Homeowner Assistance Fund and serves Kennebec and Lincoln counties for applications.
To qualify for you must have exhausted other loss mitigation options and:
- Own and occupy a 1-4 unit home in Maine as your primary residence
- Meet income qualifications: Maine HAF Program Income Limits
- Have experienced a financial hardship associated with COVID-19
Types of possible assistance:
- Mortgage reinstatement: assistance to eliminate or reduce past due payments
- Mortgage default
- Property taxes: municipal tax assistance to prevent tax foreclosure
- Past due homeowner’s insurance, mortgage insurance or flood insurance
- Utility or internet: payments to help with past due electric, gas, heating oil, sewage, water or internet payments
You can talk with a KVCAP HUD Certified Housing counselor to work through your financial situation.
Click here to apply: HAF Program Application