The Maine Homeowner Assistance Fund (HAF) is a free, federal relief program for homeowners who are financially impacted by COVID-19 and are behind on their mortgage, property tax, or utility payments and are at risk of foreclosure. The program is funded by the U.S. Department of Treasury and administered by MaineHousing.
KVCAP serves Kennebec and Somerset Counties through the Homeowner Assistance Fund.
To qualify for you must:
- Own and occupy a 1-4 unit home in Maine as your primary residence
- Meet income qualifications: Maine HAF Program Income Limits
- Have experienced a financial hardship associated with COVID-19
Types of possible assistance:
- Mortgage reinstatement: funds provided to reduce past due amounts on mortgage loans. This could include payments under a forbearance plan.
- Mortgage default: funds provided for loss mitigation that cause a permanently sustainable payment
- Property taxes: municipal tax assistance to prevent tax foreclosure
- Past due homeowner’s insurance, mortgage insurance or flood insurance
- Utility or internet: funds to resolve delinquent payments if other resources are not available from utility assistance programs (such as HEAP) to cover these amounts
You can talk with a KVCAP HUD Certified Housing counselor to work through your financial situation.
Required documents for the application process
Click here to apply: HAF Program Application