Behavior is Language
The data tells us that more than 20% of Maine’s children have experienced trauma in the form of abuse, neglect or household dysfunction. Their behavior is a manifestation of that trauma. These children, our future, need YOUR support to develop resilience and lead more successful and fulfilling lives. Volunteer with First4 AmeriCorps to serve in a childcare or preschool program providing support and structure to disadvantaged children ages 6 weeks to 5 years in Maine — all while earning a stipend and learning valuable skills!
No experience is required. We provide the training and the experience!
“Nine times out of ten, the story behind the misbehavior won’t make you angry; it will break your heart.”
—Annette Breaux, renowned author and speaker
As a First4 AmeriCorps member you will:
- commit to a 9-12 month term of service with hours based on your schedule.
- provide daily direct support to disadvantaged children within classrooms throughout the school year.
- increase staff capacity to deliver high quality curriculum.
- gain an understanding of trauma-informed care to help children better handle life’s challenges.
- receive training to support children’s development and school readiness.
- collaborate with other First4 members and teaching staff.
- connect with Maine communities.
- support the recruitment and training of future volunteers.
- join a team of like-minded people eager to impact children’s futures.
For your service you will receive:
- a living allowance paid bi-weekly and subject to taxes based on your term of service.
- health care coverage (for full-time members).
- eligibility for child care assistance.
- eligibility for loan forbearance.
- Segal Education Award upon successful completion of service to be used for college tuition or student loan payments.
- professional development training.
- Ed Tech I, II or III certification to support a continuing career in Maine education.