Behavior is Language
The data tells us that almost a quarter of Maine’s children have experienced trauma in the form of abuse, neglect or household dysfunction. Their behavior is a manifestation of that trauma. These children–our future–need YOUR support to develop resilience and lead more successful and fulfilling lives. Volunteer with First4 to serve in a childcare or preschool program providing support and structure to disadvantaged children ages 6 weeks to 5 years in central Maine and change a child’s life.
“Nine times out of ten, the story behind the misbehavior won’t make you angry; it will break your heart.”
—Annette Breaux, renowned author and speaker
As a First4 AmeriCorps member you will:
- provide direct support to disadvantaged children within classrooms.
- increase staff capacity to deliver high quality curriculum.
- garner a better understanding of trauma-informed teaching in order to boost resiliency and reduce overall toxic stress.
- receive training to support the social-emotional development in children.
- collaborate with other First4 members and KVCAP staff.
- connect with Central Maine communities.
- support the recruitment and training of future volunteers.
- join a team of like-minded people eager to impact children’s futures.
For your service you will receive:
- a living allowance paid bi-weekly and subject to taxes based on your term of service.
- health care coverage (for full-time members).
- eligibility for child care assistance.
- eligibility for loan forbearance.
- Segal Education Award upon successful completion of service to be used for college tuition or student loan payments.
- professional development training.
Volunteer with us!
Interested in joining us for the 2021-2022 school year? Fill in the form below and we’ll send you an email with more details within 24 hours. Don’t see an email? Check your spam folder!