HomeStart combines Early Head Start and Family Child Care into a full-day, full-year, early childhood experience for children 6 weeks to age 4, at a minimal cost to families. Family child care providers, Early Head Start staff, and parents work together as a team to offer each child quality child care, which includes early childhood education, health and nutrition services, parent involvement opportunities, and social services coordination.
The HomeStart option offers a variety of benefits for both children and families.
For Your Child
- Individualized programming to meet the needs of all children.
- A safe, nurturing, home environment.
- Health and developmental screenings and appropriate referrals.
- Opportunities to be with siblings in a multi-age setting.
- One continuous caregiver, who is a licensed, quality provider.
- Nutritious snacks and meals.
- Learning through play and age appropriate activities.
- Individualization for children with special needs.
For Your Family
- Year-round, full-day child care.
- When possible, one child care setting for all siblings.
- Opportunities for parent involvement (planning special events, field trips, etc).
- Information and referrals to community resources and Early Head Start consultants.
- Home visits and conferences on your child’s development.
- Information and workshops on healthy living and parenting.
- Input in how the program is operated (Policy Council).
- Streamlined funding to create affordable child care fees, based on a sliding fee scale.